Have you ever been in a predicament where you have an event coming up and you need to know what tie to wear with your suit or a shirt?
Well, this is your go-to guide to assist you in finding the right tie to wear with your suit or shirt.
We’ll be looking at the best way of mixing things up to ensure you have the best look, whether you want to be subtle, stand out or just want to look on point, then you have come to the right place!
With this in mind, we’re going to cover 3 areas that will help you decide what colour tie to wear that will fit perfectly for the event you are attending.
The Subtle Effect; this will cover the tie colours that will help you look good without standing out or taking the limelight.
The Stand-Out Effect; this will provide the tips of the tie colours that will help you look dapper and stand out. Perfect for those events where you want to be noticed.
The On Point Effect; here we will look at ties that will help you look great, not too subtle and not too loud, allowing you to look fantastic and on point!
So let’s get started.....
What tie to wear with a navy suit
A navy suit provides you with a great base to work on, you have different options that work well.
Let’s explore the colours that we feel that work for each area.
The Subtle Effect: For the occasion when you want to look outstanding, however, do not want to outshine everyone else, such as a wedding (of course you don’t want to outshine than the groom). The colours that we would suggest is a blue or dark blue, they both go nicely with a navy suit and you will look great, without outshining.
The Stand Out Effect: For the occasion when you want to be noticed, such as giving a presentation at work, or even attending a special event. On these occasions when wearing a navy suit, a tie that would stand out and get you noticed would be a sharp red tie, on a white shirt of course. You will be noticed.
- The On Point Effect: As in the name, it’s when your look is perfect; it is of course on point! So not to look too subtle, however having that edge, then we would suggest going with a grey or burgundy tie as they both look great on. If you’re happy to explore then a purple could work well, however best to check that the shade of purple fits with your suit.
What tie to wear with a black suit
A black suit has so many options to play with when it comes to ties, so let us start with our three areas
The Subtle Effect: There are two options that fit quite nicely. The first one is a grey tie, on a white shirt. You will not be on show; however, elegance is key. The second option is a blue or dark blue tie that goes nicely with a black suit.
The Stand Out Effect: We also have two options here. The first is a red tie can help you stand out and look great at the same time. If you want to mix it up, you could even wear a nice red floral or even a red polka dot tie, with a black suit, they will stand out. The second option is a green tie; again you can go for a bold green or mix it up with a green polka dot or even a green paisley / floral tie. Both colours will help you get noticed.
- The On Point Effect: A black suit, white shirt and a black tie go so well and are perfect for that interview or a black tie event if you are not a bowtie fan. You can mix this up by wearing a black polka dot or even a blue polka dot tie would fit nicely.
There are also other colours that can go with a black suit, such as purple or even a burgundy tie; you have lots of options when it comes to a black suit.
Check out the below for an example of The On Point Look below
What tie to wear with a blue suit
When it comes to a blue suit, a statement has already been made. A bold suit that stands out! We have our three options here.
The Subtle Effect: We have two colours that fit really well with a blue suit, the first one is a grey tie, it’s subtle and looks great. The second is blue on blue, a blue suit, white shirt with a blue tie, we would say a dark blue, however, most shades of blue go well and fit nicely for a subtle look.
The Stand Out Effect: We also have two colours that look great with a blue suit, the first one is orange, yep orange. It goes really well with a blue suit and of course you will get noticed. The second is a red tie or a red polka dot, both also go really well. If you want to make a bold statement and look amazing at the same time, an orange or a red tie on a blue suit is the one.
- The On Point Look: We have one tie here that looks great in a blue suit, a brown tie, yes a brown tie. Not a match that you would think that would go together, let alone be on point. But give it a go, a blue suit, white shirt and a brown tie, looks perfect and on point.
What tie to wear with a grey suit
A grey suit is a perfect to work with, and we have the perfect tie colours for it. We have the three options for you to choose from.
The Subtle Effect: For a grey suit we would suggest a grey tie or even a grey knitted tie, this would give you a great look and can keep you looking dapper, perfect if you don’t want to outshine on the day.
The Stand Out Effect: We have two colours that work great here, the first one is an orange tie, it is a tie we would question if it would go, however, it fits perfectly and gives a great bold look. Alternatively, if you’re not an orange fan, we would suggest a nice sharp blue, not too dark. Looks great and you will definitely stand out.
- The On Point Look: We would suggest a dark blue, maybe even a blue polka dot, both would look great. However, we have something up our sleeve, a brown tie, maybe even a cotton or knitted brown. It fits so perfectly and you will be noticed. Remember if you got with a brown tie, ensure you put on some brown shoes as they will fit nicely.
Check out the below for an example of The Subtle Look
What tie to wear with a striped suit
The trick with a striped suit is not to wear a plain tie, go with a polka dot or a striped tie. We would normally give you the three options to choose from, however with a pinstripe suit, we would suggest you go for a colour tie that fits the colour of your suit, have a look at the shade of ties we have to suggest for each suit colour above. A nice polka dot or a striped tie will enhance the look and enhance features of the suit. Try to avoid a plain tie if you can.
What tie to wear with a black shirt
A black shirt is a great canvas to work with, like a white shirt, many colours can match nicely and you do not need to worry too much about colour matching. We have split our options into three categories as follows
The Subtle Effect: To keep a subtle but elegant look, we would suggest that you go with a grey tie, it will look great and it is subtle enough to ensure you do take the attention of the main event.
The Stand Out Effect: If you want everyone to notice you, we would suggest an orange tie, goes well with the black shirt and will definitely help you stand out. If you’re not a fan of the orange, you could go with a white tie, it works, like a black tie on a white shirt, however, you will get more attention wearing a white tie on a black shirt.
- The On Point Effect: We have two tie colours that go really well here. The first one is a burgundy tie; it goes well with a black shirt and gives you the on point look. If you’re not a burgundy fan, then we would suggest a blue tie, this also looks great on a black shirt. Both are not too overpowering or too subtle, they meet in the middle giving you that on point effect.
What tie to wear with a striped shirt
Did you know that a striped shirt can make you look thinner? The trick is to wear a shirt with narrow horizontal lines, maybe a black or darker colour. However with a striped shirt, wearing a plain tie does go that well, so as usual, we have our three effects that would work really well.
The Subtle Effect: With a subtle look we would suggest a striped tie, it works really well and if you go with a darker colours such as a dark blue tie on a blue striped shirt. This will help you to look great without taking the limelight.
The Stand Out Effect: We would suggest a polka dot tie here, it will be noticed on the striped shirt, allowing you to stand out and look great at the same time, depending on the colours of the stripes on the shirt, we would suggest the same colour tie as the stripes to ensure both matches.
- The On Point Effect: With this, a knitted tie would work really well, it doesn’t need to be bright, a subtle colour such as grey or a blue would work really well. This will give you an amazing look and bring out the stripes on the shirt.
What tie to wear with a blue shirt
It’s about the shade of blue you wear, a light blue and dark blue shirt both look great and a tie can only help enhance that great look. Let’s look at three areas.
The Subtle Look: With a blue shirt, we have chosen two colours that fit perfectly. The first one is a dark blue, doesn’t need to be plain, can be a knitted or polka dot tie, it is quite subtle however you will look great. The second tie is a black tie, we would say go with a plain black tie here, looks good on.
The Stand Out Effect: Here we’re going to present a tie that I can’t deny that actually matches really well, it’s a Pink tie. Alternatively, if you’re not a pink fan then you can go with a nice bold red. Looks great on and you will definitely stand out.
- The On Point Effect: Here we would suggest a nice dark green tie, it fits really well. If you’re feeling bold, then go with a lighter green, it will get you noticed, but check the shade of blue matches with the green tie. Alternatively, a burgundy polkadot looks great on a blue shirt and you will be noticed without standing out.
For The On Point Effect, check out our Burgundy Polkadot Tie
What tie to wear with a white shirt
A white shirt is like a canvas, you can wear a plain, polka dot, striped or even a knitted tie and all fit, even with the colours, you have plenty to choose from, we have picked a couple that will fit well, however, don’t let this limit you to only wear these colours.
The Subtle Look: We would suggest a dark blue or black, you could even wear a grey. It will give you the subtle look you want however will keep you looking good.
The Stand-Out Look: We do like a red tie and it will help you to stand out. Alternatively, you can go with a green and it will also work really well. If you want to be bold, then try an orange tie. Either way, all three colours work and will help you stand out.
- The On Point Effect: Here we would suggest a nice brown tie, A burgundy floral tie or even a burgundy tie that would give you that on point look and both fit really well.
For The On Point Effect, check out our Burgundy Floral Tie
What tie to wear with a purple shirt
When wearing a purple shirt, you have a handful of options that work. We will go through the three areas to give you an overview of what works well on a purple shirt and for the look, you are going for.
The Subtle Look: We would suggest a black tie on a purple shirt, it matches well and will help you look great without having to worry about stealing the limelight.
The Standout Look: We have two colours that work well here, the first one being a pink, but make sure you check the shade of purple and pink go together. The second option here is a peach tie; it will help you stand out and goes well with purple. Both colours go great with a purple shirt.
- The On Point Look: Again we have two colours that fit well on a purple shirt. The first one is a purple tie on a purple shirt, this is a great match and gives a great look and you can mix this up with a polka dot, paisley or even a knitted tie. The second option is a grey tie; again make sure the shades you chose fit with the shirt you will be wearing. Both shades of tie work really well on a purple shirt and will give you that on point look.
How long should my tie be
Once you have chosen your outfit, it’s time to ensure you look on point! A major detail is the length of the tie. Often we will see someone is a great suit, tie matching perfectly, however, their tie is too short. Alternatively, you find someone whose tie is so long they could trip over it, well that’s a bit of an exaggeration but your tie length is quite important.
When tying your tie, you want to tie it so it finishes where your trousers start, just above your belt buckle or the top trouser button. This is the perfect length; you do not want it any shorter or any longer and it will definitely enhance your look and fit nicely.
Thanks for reading, if you have any questions or want to run a colour match by us, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can message us on